CyCAT Closing Event
The Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency (CyCAT) and the Open University of Cyprus (OUC) as the coordinator of the H2020 Widespread Twinning Project “CyCAT,” are pleased to announce the CyCAT Closing Event, which will take place at the Hilton Nicosia – Dionysios Hall on December 1st, 2021 at 17:00.
The Closing Event is held under the auspices of the Deputy Ministry of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy.
Through interactive panels and presentations, we shall explore the topic of algorithmic transparency in the context of Cypriot society. What would it take to ensure that citizens of all backgrounds have adequate algorithmic literacy in order to thrive in the Fourth Industrial Revolution? What consequences (positive or negative) will the increased oversight of algorithmic processes, as foreseen in the proposed EU AI Act, have on innovation?
17.00 – 17.30: Arrival and registration of guests
17.30 – 17.50: Welcome
- Welcome from Prof. Stavros Stavrou Dean of the School of Pure and Applied Sciences (Open University of Cyprus)
- Welcome from CyCAT Coordinator – Dr. Jahna Otterbacher (Associate Professor, Open University of Cyprus, Team Leader, CYENS Centre of Excellence)
- CyCAT video screening
18.00 – 18.45: Panel 1 – Algorithmic literacy and public oversight
- Moderator: Prof. Michalinos Zembylas (Open University of Cyprus)
- Dr. Miranda Christou (Associate Professor University of Cyprus)
- Dr. Frank Hopfgartner (Senior Lecturer, The University of Sheffield (UK))
- Dr. Athena Michaelidou (Director, Cyprus Pedagogical Institute)
18.45 – 19.15: Cocktails and poster session
19.15 – 20.00: Panel 2 – Algorithmic transparency and its relationship to innovation
- Moderator: Prof. Michael Rovatsos (The University of Edinburgh (UK), Deputy Vice-Principal of Research (AI), Director of The Bayes Centre)
- Prof. Tsiv Kuflik (The University of Haifa (ISRAEL))
- Dr. Efstathios Stavrakis (Co-founder, Senior Scientist and Algorithms Engineer at Algolysis LTD)
- Dr. Christina Orphanidou (Head of Data and Artificial Intelligence Lab, PwC Cyprus)
20.00 – 22.00: Dinner