Job Opening: Associate Research Position
The Open University of Cyprus accepts applications for the fulfilment of one (1) Research Associate position with full‐time employment over two years, in the context of the H2020 project “CyCAT: Cyprus Center for Algorithmic Transparency.” The project is funded by the program H2020 – Widespread – Twinning.
The project aims at developing interventions that support the needs of users, raising their awareness of algorithmic biases (i.e., social biases that are observed in algorithmic systems and tools used regularly by the public for information access, such as search engines and social media platforms). The interventions to be developed include both digital tools and educational materials for digital literacy, with an emphasis on those that shall support the specific needs of Cypriot educators, information specialists and the public more generally.
CyCAT researchers based at OUC collaborate closely with our advanced partners, located at leading universities across Europe and Israel (University of Edinburgh, University of Trento, University of Sheffield, and University of Haifa). In addition, the project provides support for carrying out scientific exchanges abroad, as well as for researchers’ participation in international scientific conferences.
More information on the project can be found here: http://www.cycat.io/
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
The successful candidate will be employed on contract for 24 months (two years), with a starting date of 1st September 2019. The position is full‐time, with physical presence at the CyCAT / OUC premises at Latsia.
The gross salary to be offered is 2.050 – 2.280 euro (for master’s degree holders) or 2.280 – 2.850 euro (for holders of a PhD), commiserate with the candidate’s documented experience and previous employment history.
Please note that there are no provisions for a 13th salary.
The new colleague will contribute to the following project activities:
- Conducting a literature review surrounding algorithmic transparency issues in technical (e.g., machine learning, artificial intelligence) and/or social science (e.g., human‐computer interaction, cognitive and social psychology, digital literacy / communication) domains.
- Conducting empirical research studies that relate to human awareness of algorithmic bias (e.g., in end‐users and/or system developers).
- Preparing scientific articles and reports concerning the project.
- Participating in the outreach and dissemination activities organized by the project.
- Other project‐related responsibilities that require the attention / collaboration of the team.
- Ability to collaborate with other members of the team; team‐oriented disposition.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Masters degree in Computer / Information Science or other related field (e.g., HCI,Statistics, Data Science, Communication and Media (with emphasis on quantitativeapproaches), Media Literacy, etc.)
- Documented experience in preparing / publishing scientific articles in a related area.
- Excellent knowledge of English; ability to understand technical texts in English.
- Ability to be physically present at the OUC premises in Latsia.
- Doctoral degree in a related area.
- Experience with statistical analysis and data management in R and/or Python.
- Knowledge in the areas of applied machine learning and/or natural language processing.
- Experience in writing grant proposals.
- Previous participation in European projects.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials, in digital form:
- A cover letter with a short description (1 page) that explains if/how the candidate fulfillseach of the required and additional qualifications.
- A curriculum vitae along with the names and contact information of two professional oracademic references.
- Copies of the candidate’s degrees along with grade point averages.
- A statement confirming the candidate’s availability for full‐time employment and physicalpresence during the two year of his or her employment at OUC.
Applications, along with the above materials, should be submitted electronically at https://recruitment.ouc.ac.cy/apply by 10 June 2019.
Non‐Greek speaking candidates may send their applications directly to Dr. Jahna Otterbacher, Project Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), with copy to email@example.com.
Any questions about the position may also be addressed to the Project Coordinator by email (preferably) or phone (+357 2241.1903) or to Mr. Michalis Savva in the OUC Research Office (+357 2241.1692, firstname.lastname@example.org).